Recovering Operating System Drive
Recovering Operating System Drive / System Image
- Recovering the System Image / Operating System Drive Image on a different computer (Dissimilar hardware)
- Recovering the Operating System Drive on same computer
- Download the disk image folder from the cloud to an external disk. In case you have performed local backup, where the disk image backup on the local device is encrypted, you need to restore the encrypted disk image folder to an external device to decrypt.
- Use WinRE bootable disk to restore to similar / dissimilar (different computer) hardware.
Disk image restore is a two-step process:
- A USB bootable flash drive to boot your computer. You can download and double-click the WinRE ISO file, mount it, and copy the entire content to a USB bootable flash drive.
- The disk image backup of your operating system drive / system that you backed up using IDrive.
- In case you have performed local backup, restore the IDriveDiskImage / IDriveSystemImage / IDDriveImage / IDHDImage folder to an external drive.
- New hard disk to which you can perform the restore operation.
- Connect your USB drive (WinRE boot disk) and start the computer in the Windows Recovery Environment (boot from USB). The IDrive Disk Image Restore application opens.
- Click and browse the diskimage folder (IDriveDiskImage' / 'IDriveSystemImage /'IDDriveImage' /'IDHDImage) containing disk image / operating system drive image.
- Click 'Restore Now'.
- A popup message will request confirmation as restoring a disk image will overwrite all existing contents of the drive with the image file. Click 'Yes'.
You can view the progress of the restore on the Disk Image Restore application. After the restore, boot the hard disk to get the operating system.
Alternatively, you can learn how to restore the disk image manually.
- A USB bootable flash drive to boot your computer. You can download and double-click the WinRE ISO files for X86 OS architecture and X64 OS architecture, mount it and copy the entire content to a USB bootable flash drive. Alternatively you can learn how to create a WinRE boot disk.
- Locate the IDrive Disk Image Utility file:
- Copy IDriveDiskImage.exe to WinRE boot disk.
Steps to recover your OS drive on same computer
- Connect your USB drive (WinRE boot disk) and start the computer in the Windows Recovery environment.
- Choose your keyboard layout to US > Troubleshoot > Advance options > Command Prompt.
- A command prompt with 'x:\windows\system32>' window appears.
- Execute the following command to recover your drive:
"of" : drive to restore OS disk image
"bs" : block sector
"count”: Image size of operating system disk image in bytes
*Get the Image size of operating system disk image from the "backup.ini"
Once the code has been executed, restart your computer. You will have recovered the computer’s operating system from the disk image file.
If you need further assistance, you may contact IDrive tech support.